I was fortunate enough to get my hands on an early prototype of the EVL Alien to test out. I have spent a few days with it and I am quite pleased. I had some initial issues, but they were mainly operator error, getting greedy with airflow by removing airflow pin, being lazy on refills, and not turning it upside. Those can cause some messy mistakes. What I have learned is that, if used properly, the EVL Alien is wonderful.
The EVL Alien comes in a sealed tin full of Muji cotton with the Alien itself and a baggie of spares and airflow inserts.
The deck is a Reaper style deck and big enough for 3.0mm coils, although I think 2.5mm will give you better flavor. The base is created from a solid piece of stainless steel. The weight of the EVL alien is much heavier than other options, but it’s not too bad. The airflow comes from the hole on the side of the base. The juice is gravity fed onto the Alien’s deck. The tank has 4ml capacity and is made of polycarbonate. The e-liquid is gravity fed and comes through 4 holes and drops into 4 channels below them.
Airflow inserts are 1 mm, 1.5 mm, 3 mm, 2.5 mm, and 3 mm inserts that screw into the base before placing a coil. I do not vape MTL and have not tried any of the airflow inserts except for the 3.00 mm insert.
Here is the EVL Alien 1st Look Video
Please understand, this is not a review. This is a simple unboxing and clumsy build video in real time, no edits on my out the door to head to work.
I want to remind you that this EVL Alien is a prototype and not the final product. Several tweaks will be complete before they are made available to the public.
What I know John from EVL is tweaking
- Working on adjusting the width so it’s not such a tight fit in the Billet Box. He wants it to fit as tight as possible to prevent as much condensation as possible.
- Make it more Delro friendly in regards to airflow.
- Make the fill plug a little more flush on the front.
My only complaints
- The tight fit and this is already being addressed.
- The posts are a little difficult to get the coil clamped down with larger wire.
- Tighter airflow in devices that use front airflow. No complaints about the airflow on the Billet Box, but it is tighter than airflow than a Bridg’d, just a little less airy.
What others might not like
- With the solid Stainless Steel base, there is some weight to the RBA. It’s not horrible and shouldn’t be a problem for most people, but some people might not like it.
- Filling upside down. The reason for the fill port at the bottom and having to turn it upside to fill is to prevent the deck from flooding.
- My first couple of builds was a trial and error event, but I was able to nail it on the 2nd build. The wicking is really easy, in all 3 builds, I haven’t had any leaking that was a result of improper wicking.
- This goes without saying, but having this type setup is great for rewicking on the fly. No need to take the RBA out of the Boro like traditional RBA Bridges. That was my favorite part of the VapeSnail.
- After getting past initial mistakes, I have had very little mess to deal with. Very little condensation.
- The flavor is on point. With a 2.5 mm ID fused clapton and with a simple round wire build, the flavor stands up against the best RBAs on the market.
- The airflow is good with the Billet Box, it’s not the most airy airflow I have used, but it’s enough and very smooth. The EVL Alien is usable with the Delro with this prototype, but it’s better suited for RDL and MTL vapers right now. As I have mentioned, John from EVL is working on a tweak that could double the airflow for the Delro.
- It feels solid and well built. People that I have talked with have all mentioned that EVL is known for this for their attention to detail. This is my 1st EVL product and I have to agree.
- The Box (tin) that it comes in is a really cool touch. Rebuilders need cotton, why not give us some cotton too. Pretty cool.
- The 510 adapter is easy to use.
I look forward to purchasing the finished EVL Alien when available.
For more information, check out the EVL group on Facebook or keep an eye out on this website.